Lewis Hamilton tests positive for Coronavirus and will miss Sakhir Grand Prix
Author: Rafi Benady | Tuesday 1st December 2020
Formula 1 heavyweight Lewis Hamilton will miss this Sunday’s Grand Prix in Bahrain after testing positive for Covid-19. His team, Mercedes, said the star woke on Monday with mild symptoms and returned a positive test, and again at a retest.
He won the Bahrain Grand Prix at the same circuit on Sunday. Mercedes said a replacement will be named shortly.
A statement said: "Apart from mild symptoms, he is otherwise fit and well and the entire team sends him our very best wishes for a swift recovery."
This weekend’s race will be the first Mr Hamilton has missed since his F1 debut in 2007. He’s not allowed to race until he returns a negative test, meaning he may not be able to take part in the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi.
Mercedes said Hamilton was tested three times last week, including on Sunday at the Bahrain International Circuit, and returned a negative result on each occasion.
Hamilton is the third F1 driver to test positive for coronavirus this season, after Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll produced positive results.