Coronavirus: Which restrictions are eased today?
Author: Joel Griffiths | Monday 12th April 2021
From Monday morning the next stage of Coronavirus restriction lifting will begin, with the biggest changes coming in the retail and hospitality sectors.
More businesses will open, but indoor settings should be visited alone, or with household groups. Outside, six people or two households can meet.
What will change?
- All shops allowed to open
- Hairdressers, beauty salons and other close-contact services can open
- Restaurants and pubs allowed to serve food and alcohol to customers sitting outdoors
- Gyms and spas can reopen, as can zoos, theme parks, libraries and community centres
- Members of the same household can take a holiday in England in self-contained accommodation
- Non-essential journeys between England and Wales are allowed
- Weddings - up to 15 people
- Funerals - up to 30 people, with 15 at wakes
- Children will be able to attend any indoor children's activity
- Care home visitors will increase to two per resident
- Driving lessons can resume, with driving tests restarting on 22 April
Stage three (no earlier than 17 May):
- People can meet in groups of up to 30 outdoors
- Six people or two households can meet indoors
- Domestic overnight stays allowed with people not in your household or bubble
- Pubs, restaurants and other hospitality venues can seat customers indoors
- Up to 30 people can attend weddings or other life events, like christenings
- Remaining outdoor entertainment, such as outdoor theatres and cinemas can open
- Indoor entertainment such as museums, theatres, cinemas and children's play areas can open
- Performances and large events can restart, but with limits on audience numbers
- Hotels, hostels and B&Bs can reopen
- International leisure travel may resume
- Adult indoor group sports and exercise classes can restart
Stage four (no earlier than 21 June):
- It's hoped all legal limits on social contact will be removed
- No legal limits on the number of people who can attend weddings, funerals and other life events
- Nightclubs will be allowed to reopen